Sunday 16 August 2009

Who'd Like A Cocktail? #50

That's right - fifty of these damn Cocktail posts, my look at the comics I get each week accompanied this week by piss-poor graphics gleefully ripped from a copy of Crisis on Infinite Earths!

They were a bit infrequent for a while after I started them as both the single issue review and then a paragraph about every comic just took too much time to work through.  Since I started the weekly bulletted lists back in March with #27, I've not missed a single one . . . even when, like this one, I'm not actually here!

When this gets posted, I shall be visiting my in-laws with my lovely wife, so it's just as well I can post this now, on Friday, after having picked up my comics early.  So what did I get this week?

  • Blackest Night #2 - damn, this is getting good! "Worlds have died. Worlds will rise." Oooooh, creepy!
  • Blackest Night: Batman #1 - the Black Lantern Corps isn't fussy: they'll take any old dead second stringer (though I loved the Ventriloquist's ring-constructed Scarface!)
  • Booster Gold #23 - c'mon, Dan - I know you want to keep the mystery villain hidden but in a room that well lit, how comes only his head is in shadow?
    • Blue Beetle co-feature - thank you, DC, for the co-features and specifically for allowing Blue Beetle to continue; and thank you, Matt Sturges, for writing such a consistently fun tale.
  • Chronicles of Wormwood: The Last Battle preview - more wonderfully irreligious escapades from Ennis; can't wait for the full series.
  • Final Crisis Aftermath: Escape #4 - what's that? Was that the hint of a plot line? After two thirds of the mini-series is done they finally discover a plot line?!
  • Green Arrow/Black Canary #23 - anyone tell me why Norton and Rubinstein are on the back-up story? Hey, least I'm not ragging on Kreisberg's writing for one issue of this title.
  • Green Lantern Corps #39 - would have made a little more sense for this to be out with Blackest Night #1, I think, but still damned good. And glad to see Mongul's finally decided to rename his army.
  • JSA vs Kobra #3 - not quite as effective as the first two issues, perhaps because of the tension between Power Girl and Mr. Terrific, but still a damn good issue.
  • Wednesday Comics #6 - still plenty more hits than misses but Kamandi and the Flash top the list this week I think.
And what made me smile:

So there you go, a bumper crop for this week's Cocktail post. Here's to #100 round about this time next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for wanting to leave a comment, but this blog is no longer maintained. Feel free to visit my new site/blog over at

crisisonearthprime.com

Look forward to seeing you there. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails